Saturday, February 24, 2018

New Twist on Task Cards: "Be the Expert"

       I like task cards, but I feel like I'm always looking for some way to make them better....more exciting or fun....or something.  Well, I finally found what I was looking for.  For the moment, I'm calling this version "Be the Expert" task cards.

     It's a pretty simple twist on task cards, but for me, it was just what I was looking for to take task cards to the next level.   I made the task cards with the idea that you would fold them in half, kind of making them into a tent.  On one side is the task card.  On the other side is the answer, along with space for students to work out the answer.

                           

     Each student gets one card, and they keep that card for the entire activity.  Each student must work out the problem that they got on their card, and "be the expert" for that problem.  Students then walk around, partnering up with different students, and completing each other's problems.    As students try to work each other's problems, they can help each other through it.


Here are 4 things that I loved about doing task cards this way:
1.  It got kids moving.  This was an easy way to incorporate some movement in my class, as students moved around to change partners.
2.  It helped all kids feel successful, and be successful.  Each student was in charge of understanding one problem and being able to help others.  This gave my quiet students and struggling students a chance to gain confidence.
3.  It led to great discussions.  As I listened to student discussions, I was impressed at the quality of help that I heard them giving to each other.  They weren't just giving answers but really helping each other figure out what went wrong when it was not correct.
4.  Easy way to make sure kids get instant feedback.  Students had the answers when needed so they could monitor their own progress...plus help was built in when they missed problems!

Tips if you plan to try this:
1.  Have some kind of "waiting place" for students that are waiting for a different partner.
2.  Make sure kids know that they can't work in the "waiting place".  The first time I did this my "waiting place" area kept moving around because kids would start working it out there!

     One of the great things about this idea for task cards is that you could do this with any task cards that you already have.....just print them on paper, write the answers on the back, and you're ready to go.  When I made mine, I decided to fold the task card like a tent (so the answer would be on the back) this left the inside available for some more questions.  I decided it would be a great place for an exit ticket!  If you're interested in some ready to go "Be the Expert" two-step equations task cards, click here to see them in my Teachers Pay Teacher store.

No comments:

Post a Comment